Summary of History and Significance
New Augusta represents one of only two intact nineteenth century railroad towns (the other is Acton) in Marion County. Originally known as Hosbrook, the name New Augusta was given by the Post Office in 1878. The community was established in 1852, though no major expansion occurred until the 1870's. The earliest settlements were along the railroad. Prominent citizens included William and Henry Pollard, who established a flourmill, and Henry Dobson who owned a large portion of land in the community. The town never extended beyond its 1889 additions, leaving New Augusta with its original village characteristics.
New Augusta Village AssociationMark Patty, President4636 W. 72nd St.Indianapolis, IN 46268317-250-2755 - Phonemarkpatty1950@sbcglobal.net