Summary of History and Significance
Fletcher Place is historically significant because its residents made many contributions to the early development of architecture, religion, commerce, education, and social life in the city of Indianapolis. The structures that they built are evidence of this contribution. Fletcher Place derives its name from Calvin Fletcher, Sr. whose farm originally encompassed most of the land in the area. The farm was platted into individual lots in 1857; the name Fletcher Place was first used in 1872. Other parts of the area were platted by James G. Ray and William J. Johnson.
In the 1850's, German and Irish immigrants began to settle in the eastern section of the area. By the 1860's large houses were built on Fletcher Avenue, and smaller workers' cottages were built to the north and south. Virginia Avenue became the commercial spine, linking Fletcher Place with the Mile Square to the north and Fountain Square to the south. Among the many structures of note in Fletcher Place is the Andrew Wallace House; likely a design of noted architect Francis Costigan. In addition to Fletcher, the area was home to Indianapolis architect Dietrich Bohlen, stonecutter Gerhard Ittenbach, tinsmith Henry W. Laut, Sr., and fire chief Charles Richmann.
Fletcher Place Neighborhood Association642 Virginia AvenueIndianapolis, IN 46203
The Fletcher Place Neighborhood Association Sheet (tips on when they meet, contact information, recommended documentation to bring to meetings, etc.)
Note: Neighborhood association meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at Fletcher Place Art & Books, 646 Virginia Avenue. Please contact a neighborhood representative to be placed on the neighborhood's meeting agenda.