6054 Hollingsworth RoadIndianapolis, IN
Summary of History and Significance
The Hollingsworth house is a fine example of rural vernacular architecture predominately in the Federal style. The house also shows the development of a home as a family's needs increased. The home is especially significant as an example of an early Marion County home. George Hollingsworth, the original owner, was typical of those who left the eastern U.S. to settle in the Indiana wilderness. The Quaker family settled on 200 acres of land on Little Eagle Creek in 1826. George built a log home and the first sawmill in Pike Township, which was some distance from the Hollingsworth house. Later, the main portion of the house was built. After George's death, the property went to his son, Sylvanus, who became on of the leading agriculturists of the area.
The Hollingsworth house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.