Dead Animals
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Department of Public Works’ Solid Waste Services crews collect and dispose of dead animal carcasses from all City thoroughfares, local veterinarian offices, the Indianapolis Zoo, and hospital research facilities within Marion County. 

If the dead animal is on private property, please call the Mayor's Action Center (MAC) at 327-4MAC to discuss options for pick up.

To have a dead animal picked up from an Indianapolis/Marion County public street, please visit the Mayor's Action Center online, or call at 327-4MAC (327-4622).

There are certain legal exceptions within Marion County:

  • If the dead animal is on an Interstate or a State Highway, call the Indiana Department of Transportation, at (317) 356-2411.
  • If the dead animal is in Beech Grove, call the Beech Grove Police Department, at (317) 782-4949.
  • If the dead animal is in Speedway, call the Speedway Street Department, at (317) 241-2568.

We thank you for your help in properly handling this important part of our City's public health.​