Name Change
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Name Change

​Many brides and grooms decide to change their last name after being married. When you apply for your marriage license, you receive a packet of information from the Clerk’s Office, including a document from the Social Security Administration (SSA). This document outlines how to change your last name after you are married:

  • Complete an application for a Social Security Card (form SS-5)
  • Show proof of your:
    • US citizenship (if you have not previously established your citizenship with the SSA)
    • Legal name change
      • To demonstrate a name change due to marriage, the Social Security Administration requires a certified copy of the marriage record for Marion County, IN marriages.
      • To request copies of your marriage record and/or marriage license from the Marion County Clerk’s Office, download and mail in our form or visit our office during regular business hours.
      • Identity (provide one of the following: valid US driver’s license, valid state-issued identification card, or valid US passport. Photocopies are not accepted)

You can take or mail the completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. The office hours are 9AM to 4PM,  Monday through Friday. To find the address of your nearest Social Security office, call at 1-800-772-1213 or visit

Social Security will return your documents, process your application and mail you a Social Security card with your married name, but with the SAME Social Security number, within two to three weeks.

If you are seeking a name change for other reasons than marriage, please click here to review the appropriate procedures.