Name Change
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Name Change

​If you are changing your name due to marriage, please click here to review the procedures to do so with the Social Security Administration.

For all other name change requests, you need to follow the following procedure:

Petition: Original and two (2) copies typewritten on 8 ½ X 11 inch white paper; petition must be verified or notarized per IC 34-28-2

Notice of Petition for Change of Name by Individual For Newspaper: Original and two (2) copies

Summons or Service by Publication forms if required under IC34-28-2: Original and three (3) copies of each form

Consent and Affidavit (if minor child): Must be included with the Petition; consent must be signed and notarized

Appearance Form: Original and one (1) copy

Filing Fee:  Click here to review filing fees

Publication Fee: Fee varies by publisher. Contact the Indianapolis Star, Court & Commercial Record, Indianapolis Recorder or Indiana Business Journal (IBJ) directly for more information.

All confidential information must be redacted from the original petition and submitted on green paper per Admin Rule 9. You will be given the date of the name change hearing when you file the case. It will be your responsibility to have the Notice published according to the Indiana state law (IC 34-28-3). At the hearing you will need to have the original order and four (4) copies for the Judge’s signature and bring proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate and/or passport) and a valid driver's license of identification card.

PLEASE NOTE: The State's Judiciary website has forms for a name change. However, these forms do not replace the advice of an attorney. Should legal assistance be required, please seek the advice of an attorney.