Internal Affairs
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

The Internal Affairs Complaint Office is a section of the Marion County Sheriff's Office.  It affords citizens of Marion County who believe they have been treated improperly by an employee of MCSO the opportunity to have their complaints voiced and investigated.

Internal Affairs Office Frequently Asked Questions

Who may file a complaint?

Any person who feels he or she has been the victim of employee misconduct may file a complaint.  If you are under the age of 18, a legal guardian must accompany you when filing the complaint.

How does one file a complaint?

 In order to file a formal complaint you have several options, by phone, in person, or by computer. By phone, you can contact the Internal Affairs Office Recording Line at (317) 327-3128.  Leave a message requesting a formal complaint form be sent to you. In person, you may go to the Marion County Sheriff's Office to pick up a formal complaint form at the security desk. You may complete the formal complaint form there or take it home and mail it to the address listed below. Lastly, on your computer, you may download and print a form from home, then send it to the address below or bring it in to the security desk at the MCSO. The complaint will be investigated, as long as we can positively identify the employee involved.  A formal complaint must be filed within a reasonable amount of time.

Please send or bring all forms to:
                                                            Attention: Internal Affairs office
                                                    40 S. Alabama Street Indianapolis, IN 46204

What happens to the complaint?

Once a complaint is received in the Internal Affairs Office, it is processed, recorded and sent to an investigative officer.  The complaint is returned to the Internal Affairs Commander with a disposition (finding) attached.  The complaint will then be reviewed by the Internal Affairs Commander.

What information is needed when filing a complaint?

When you file a complaint, please include the following information:

  • Date, time, and location of incident
  • Description of employee and I.D. number or badge and vehicle numbers (if available)
  • Witnesses' names, addresses, phone numbers
  • Citations, medical records, or any other documentation or evidence that you feel may be helpful

What if the employee is found to be in violation of departmental policy?

If there is sufficient evidence to prove the allegation(s) made in the complaint, the complaint will be ruled SUSTAINED.  The Sheriff, Chief Deputy, or the section Lieutenant Colonel will take the appropriate action.  This action is reported to the Internal Affairs Commander and forwarded to the complainant.

What if there is insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the allegation(s)?

With insufficient evidence, the case will be ruled NOT SUSTAINED:  Notification of that fact will be sent to the complainant.

What if the allegations do not coincide with the evidence?

If the information provided by the complainant does not coincide with the evidence obtained, the complaint will be ruled UNFOUNDED, and no further action will be taken.

How can you bring good employee conduct to the attention of MCSD?

If you would like to compliment the conduct and/or actions of an employee, this may be accomplished by writing to the Sheriff or the Division Lieutenant of the section in which the employee is assigned.

What if you do not agree with the Marion County Sheriff's Office or the Internal Affairs Office?

You have the right to discuss your case with an attorney and seek recourse under the law.