Permit Process
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Special Event Permit Process

A Special Event Permit application must be submitted to the Special Events office 60 days prior to an event (block parties require 2 weeks).  Applications may be submitted online or by phone. The length of time it takes to approve events depends on several factors, including size and scope of the event, or the volume of applications being processed. Once an event has been approved, a Special Event Permit will be sent via email, fax, or U.S. mail. This permit must be displayed in a prominent location during the event.  Any changes to the application must be submitted in writing and must be done at least 1 week before the event date.

Please note: We will not issue permits more than 30 days before an event.

Permit Fees

Anticipated attendees of 250-2500: $75.00

Anticipated attendees of 2500 and up: $268.00

If your event requires a fire inspection or fire services, there may be an additional fee of $100.00. Fees must be paid before the permit can be issued. An invoice will be sent with an email once your application is received.

There is no fee for a Block Party


You will be asked to provide the following information:

  • A public safety contact person. The public safety contact must be a certified law enforcement officer. If you need assistance in finding an officer for a special event (not for construction), you may call Lt. Ron Brezik at 317.327.6642 or email him at Please do not list the person(s) who are organizing the event as the safety contact.
  • If you plan to temporarily close a street for construction, please click here for Right of Way Permit information.
  • Medical assistance information
  • Sample insurance information - A copy of the event insurance certificate must be submitted. The insurance must have at least one million (1,000,000) dollars of general liability insurance. The following must be listed as additional insured and a certificate holder: Consolidated City of Indianapolis, 1200 Madison Ave, Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46225
  • Public amenities / Port-o-Let requirements
  • Site-plan/walk/run route map
  • Clean-up plan sample
  • Emergency Action Plan (EAP) sample- If your event is cancelled or postponed due to weather, please send a courtesy call to the Special Events Office (317.327.4849 - or after hours, 317.605.7745) or email


Street / Area Closure

When listing a street or area to be closed, list the name of the street and/or sidewalk to be closed, between "ABC St." and "XYZ St." Example: "Pennsylvania St, between St. Clair and Vermont St." Don't forget to list the dates and times for closure.

Parking Meter Blockage

Zones 1 and 4 are $24 per meter per day. The hours of operation are Monday - Saturday, 7am - 9pm.

Zone 2 is $19 per meter per day. The hours of operation are Monday - Saturday, 7am - 9pm.

Zone 3 is $19 per day. The hours of operation are Monday - Friday, 7am - 6pm.

A not-for-profit organization may request meter fees to be waived by sending proof of 501 (c) 3 status.

Event Security

The total number of Certified officers or security is determined by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department using many variables, including:

  • The estimated number of participants and spectators
  • The availability of alcoholic beverages
  • Event location and size
  • Weather conditions
  • Time of day
  • Need for street closures or rerouting of vehicular or pedestrian traffic
  • History of the particular special event

Food and Alcohol

If food will be served at an event, please contact the Marion County Public Health Department. The forms can be found at


If alcohol will be served, please contact the Indiana State Excise Police: (317) 541 - 4100

Fire Marshal / Fire Prevention / Fire Department

Any amusement/entertainment, tents, or any electrical devices, please be sure to contact the Indiana State Fire Marshal's office for an entertainment permit, (317) 232-2222. You can find the application here.

Amusement &
Entertainment Permit

If you wish to have fireworks/pyrotechnics at your event, you must first contact the State Fire Marshal’s office to see if a display permit will be needed, 317-232-2391. You must also obtain approval from the Indianapolis Fire Department at 317-327-6006. If a permit is needed once complete, return the application to the Fire Marshal for license. Find the application here.


The Indianapolis Fire Dept. Fire Prevention Office (317-327-6006) must be notified and an inspection performed prior to the event opening for any of the following activities:

  • Fireworks indoor or outdoor
  • Cooking under tents
  • Street or Alley closure
  • Carnivals and Fairs
  • Events hosting 500 or more people
  • Bonfires
  • Haunted Houses
  • Car Shows
  • Mazes

If an event requires Indianapolis Fire Department Resources, contact us at

Fire Prevention – Courtney Gordon at 317-327-6096

Indianapolis Fire Department resource availability is at the discretion of the Fire Chief and availability may change at any time.

Clean-Up Information

A clean-up contact person's name and telephone number must be submitted for all events. For large events (over 1,000 attendees) a clean-up plan must also be submitted. If additional cleanup by the Department of Public Works staff is necessary after the event, the event organizer will be billed for this service.

Recycling Collection Bins

Through a generous donation from Alcoa, KIB has portable recycling collection bins (called Clear Streams) to loan organizations wishing to offer recycling at community events. These bins are extremely lightweight, portable and easily identified as NOT a trash receptacle.  They also offer trash receptacles. 

Barricades and Cones

Contact the Department of Public Works to reserve state-approved barricades to block off the street. This must be done BEFORE a permit is obtained. Barricades are available from the City free of charge for public, not-for-profit events. You can pick up barricades on Friday from 7:30- 11:30a.m. and return them Monday from 7:30- 11:30a.m. at the DPW building at 1725 S. West St, building #4. Barricades will not be delivered. Please send an e-mail to Steve Pruitt at to reserve barricades for an event. Please be sure to take a copy of the permit that the Special Events Office will issue when picking up barricades.

The city will not have barricades or cones available for ANY event for the following dates:

  • The entire month of May
  • Indy Pride Weekend
  • Indiana Black Expo Weekend
  • Brickyard Weekend
  • Motorcycles on Meridian Weekend
  • Circle City Classic Weekend

Block Party

Apply for a Special Event Permit at least 2 weeks in advance.

Notify neighbors of event details.

Be sure to tell everyone who will be affected by the street closure at least two weeks in advance.

Contact the Department of Public Works to reserve state-approved barricades to block off the street. This must be done BEFORE your permit is issued. Barricades are available from the City free of charge for public, not-for-profit events on a first come/first reserved basis.  Barricades will not be delivered. Please send an e-mail to Steve Pruitt at to reserve barricades for a block party. Be sure to take a copy of your Special Events permit and the email confirmation to pick up your barricades.  Please return the barricades in a timely manner as other events may be waiting for them.

PLEASE NOTE: Block parties and events that are requesting to block a street, may do so with approval as long as there are no structures in the street that would impair an emergency response.

  • Structures are considered such things as bounce houses, stages, tents, etc that would take more than a few seconds to move from the roadway.
  • The blockage of any residential street requires that the blockage be manned to allow access to residents and emergency vehicles.
  • Street closure permits for residential areas cannot restrict a resident on that street from accessing their residence.

Canal Events

Please call (317) 237-2222 for more information regarding the canal.Map of
the Canal -

Georgia Street

Contact Downtown Indy - -  90 days in advance of event: (317) 237-2211.

Monument Circle

If an event will take place inside the bollards (the large concrete posts) of Monument Circle, contact the Indiana War Memorials Commission 30 days in advance of the event: (317) 233-0991.

If electricity is needed along the outside of Monument Circle, please note that there is a $5 fee per pedestal. Click here for the form. Please return it to the Special Events Office.

Map of
Monument Circle

Picketing / Demonstrations

In the instance the event is a peaceful picketing and/or demonstration, please contact the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. You may speak to Sgt. Harry Joseph Rail, 317-327-5488, e-mail:


If your event will occur within an Indianapolis Park, please contact the appropriate Parks Department for questions or reservations, 317-327-PARK (7275).


Here are parks maps for some of the larger and more popular event spots:

If your event will take place in White River State Park or Military Park, please contact Laura Chernin at (317) 249-2712.

Map of
Military Park

Marathons / Parades / Runs / Walks

If the event will utilize several streets, the Special Events Office will require a detailed description and map of the event. Click here to go to the Walk/Run portion of our website (which includes parade and bike routes as well).


State-Owned Memorials

If your event will take place at any of the state-owned memorials downtown, such as the Soldiers and Sailors Monument on Monument Circle, the American Legion Mall, or University Park, you will need to contact the Indiana War Memorials Commission 30 days in advance of your event at 317-233-0991.

Map of
University Park
Map of Veteran's
Memorial Plaza

Events Advisory Board

You may be asked to attend an Events Advisory Board (EAB) meeting. The EAB usually meets on the 1st Tuesday of every month at 9am at the Indiana War Memorial (431 N Meridian). Dates for the meetings can be found on the Special Events Home Page.